PDA

View Full Version : My daughter just got her driver's permit....

Jook
04-24-2015, 08:17 PM
So on her 15th bday, she started drivers ed.
two months later, she's completed the classroom 30 hours, and the 10 hours of driving, and 10 of of observing (while other kid drives)

During my second hour of driving with her, I discover, via trial and error, that they didn't teach her much.

After our 5th turn at 30 miles an hour, she didn't know you should brake DURING the turn.

appparently she was slowing down before enough turns, or stopping before the turn, that it hadn't come up.
Yep, I was yelling BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE during the turn....
As the car was perched upon the median, it clicked....
Did they not teach you to break during the turn? ummm no....

Hopefully our next session will go smoother.

Patancia
04-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Fun times and memories. It seems like only yesterday that you were reading her bedtime stories.

Josipp
04-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Were you trying to use the invisible brake that's on you r passenger side ?

Jawgwa
04-25-2015, 01:04 PM
Sooooooo reminds me of when I was teaching my first daughter how to drive. We never made it on the street after her first lesson. After going over all the controls of the car while sitting in the driveway and hearing ENDLESSLY from her "I know Dad, I know. I got it, yes I know! I'm not stupid you know!" Our driveway had a slight downhill slope into the neighborhood street so when she let the brake off in neutral and started coasting a bit into the street (manual transmission with clutch), as she entered the street she pressed hard....then really harder on the gas pedal revving up the engine more and more louder. All the while I'm telling her to let off the gas and press the brake, the brake, THE BRAKE!!!, but she kept pressing harder on the gas until I finally had to reach over and hit the brake myself and pulling her leg off the gas before the engine blew and we hit the opposite curb. She of course got mad at me for yelling at her and got out of the car storming into the house. Sooooo...I later told her what was I supposed to do? Let her keep ignoring what I was trying to tell her and either let her blow the engine or run into the neighbors yard? Kids......they THINK they know all there is to life as well as driving but as adults we know it takes time and practice and a TON of utter scary patience. Take nothing for granted, we all think we know how to handle things until things get panicky and reveals how much we really know.

Melfor
04-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Just buy a tank http://tanklimo.com/sales.htm