Thread: How to Fix Lag/Performance issues with EverQuest

How to Fix Lag/Performance issues with EverQuest

https://eqboard.rebelhq.org/index.php?topic=24843.0

Other optional changes you can do to help are as follows... pick and choose what works best in your situation/comfort/PC performance.

1) If using dual screens for any reason (netflix (for shame during raid!), web browser, work, etc...) Under Alt O (options), Display Tab, Advanced, Max. Background FPS should be set to unlimited (Please note, some patches frustrates me so and changes this to a different setting.)

2) Under Alt O (options), Display Tab, Advanced, Unclick (i.e. black box, not blue box) Enable Bloom Lighting, Enable Post Effects, Stream Item Textures, Radial Flora, Shadows.

3) Under Alt O (options), Display Tab, Far Clip Plane (Your own judgement... at max you can see really far, altering this, shortens the distance images load in).

4) Under Alt O (options), Display Tab, Particles. For a personal choice under spell and player, I usually use On For: Me & NPC. Opacity I usually leave somewhere between 5% to 10%, ample to see shit without lagging out. All other Near clips /densities, I keep em at nears, off or lows.

5) Under Alt O (options), Display Tab, Sky Type, use Simple or off.

6) Under Alt O (options), Display Tab, Unclick any of the following if not needed during raids. (Show Pet names, Show Merc names, Show Pet owner names, show merc owner names. You can also use the various commands of /shownames (1,2,3,4,5,6 or off)

7) Under Alt O (options), General Tab, Hide Players & Hide Pets drop boxes, click all. If you absolutely are a player that prefers to click a PC target in order to cast something upon em (DI, Heal, Buff, etc...)(That is ok, to each their own) then I suggest pre-targetting them using the raid tool (Alt R) and placing them in your extended target box. Once the target is selected (must be in the same zone) click any of the orange exclamation boxes, simply right click it and click on Current Target. Ex. I select Patancia and Joslin to single target during a raid. I click on them using the raid tool while in the same zone, and choose a spot on my extended target window to place them using the current target. They remain on it all evening allowing me to click on them using the extended target window without having them in the same group or having to search and click them. (In my case I also create a hotkey).

8) Out of game, resetting a router/modem. Like a PC running all the time, turning it on and off frequently actually is not recommended. Leaving it on and or in sleep mode is best, but even so, it should be rebooted once a month at least, I recommend once every two weeks. The same holds true for a router/modem. I recommend a hard reboot of this/these device(s) once a month.
    Last edited by Exxodia; 05-13-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added in further useful info

Hopefully something will work, thanks.

Thanks, Exxodia. Great article! I did everything listed on here that was applicable. I didn't know that GINA could be set to maintain your log files. Cool.

Added new.

5. Likes: (1)
    Loagina (05-13-2020)
    Thank you Exx it helped some

Read this link: Graphics and performance settings guide

Also, if you use GINA make sure to clear out the log file weekly and uncheck/remove any raids we no longer do.
    Fanra - 125 Hobbit Druid Semper Brevis! W.E.T.S.U.
    "Donkey, you have the right to remain silent. What you lack is the capacity." - Shrek

8. Likes: (1)
    Loagina (05-15-2020)
    One absolute final thing... and I even had to do it the other night...

So, enabling everything on in filters to allow a proper parser result... longer more intense raids, a lot more data, hidden spam box, more casts and abilities and healing info etc... by the time I hit our third raid event, mid-way I started to get a very very SMALL bit of lag. I did /clearall and voila!!!! Instant lag dispersal. What it does it clears ALL chat boxes and ALL info. so be careful. My suggestion for people experiencing lag after a raid attempt, before or after loot, do a /clearall. You're welcome.

10. Likes: (2)
    danzignuk (05-20-2020),Loagina (05-20-2020)
    I sometimes start lagging or getting low frame rate if I am in a zone for a long time.

I have found that doing a Ctrl+Alt+Delete to pull up the task screen, then just canceling out gets me back to where I was when I zoned in.

Not sure if it will work for anyone else.

12. Likes: (1)
    Lethinae (05-18-2022)