Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: puter problems

Quote Originally Posted by Cpilot View Post
    What should i do if i can't find the disk?
    Curse?

I don't know what you do at that point. It's kind of the first thing to do when you get a computer is to either make sure you have a Windows install disk or use the built in utility (some computer manufactures don't give you a Windows disk but do let you create a Recovery disk) to create a Recovery Disk.

If you don't have either of those and can't borrow one from someone (or from another computer you own), you are pretty much screwed. Unless you want to go pay Microsoft for a new copy of Windows.

There may be some other answer but you are really on the edge of frustration here. Call me if you have to.
    Fanra - 125 Hobbit Druid Semper Brevis! W.E.T.S.U.
    "Donkey, you have the right to remain silent. What you lack is the capacity." - Shrek

Pool Boy [also Guild Leader] Lluke's Avatar
    What Fanra said...

Basically, you're going to have to come up with a Windows CD...

I just found an article that tells how to create a windows recovery disk for Win 7 (and I'm guessing other MS OS's are similar). It doesn't seem that difficult. If you have Win7 or XP I could create a boot CD for you and mail it off. However if you'd rather not give out your address to some random guy that may or may not have more than a nervous tick I wouldn't blame ya.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5735259_crea...very-disc.html

How to Create a Windows 7 System Recovery Disc
    By braniac, eHow User

Print this articleWindows 7 comes with the built-in ability of being able to create a System Repair Disk that can be used to recover from major issues.

The same recovery features can be found on the Windows 7 installation disc, but if you don't have an installation disc, or your was lost or damaged, you'll need this recovery disc to access the Windows 7 recovery features in case your system becomes seriously corrupt or unbootable.

Difficulty:EasyInstructions
    Things You'll Need
    Windows 7

1 System Repair Disc
    To begin the process of creating a System Repair Disc, Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security >Backup and Restore.

Click "Create a System Repair Disc"

2 If you have multiple optical drives installed in your system, select your preferred CD or DVD burner from the drop down. Place a CD or DVD in the optical drive tray and click "Create disc."

3 A progress bar will be displayed on the screen. Creating the disc should only take a few minutes. When the process is done, click "OK."

You've just created a Windows 7 System Recovery Disc to use in case of a major computer emergency.
    Or same thing from Microsoft's website: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...em-repair-disc

Quote Originally Posted by Cpilot View Post
    What should i do if i can't find the disk?
    Make a buddy that has one, preferably a volume license copy of the OS of your choice (though I think they are doing away with VL's with 2008/Vista/7 from what I've seen).

If that is out of the question, become a pirate (*eye patch on, stuffed bird on shoulder* ARRRRRRRRRRRRR!) and grab one from somewhere online (thepiragebay.org maybe) although depending on the source, this can be an iffy/questionable thing to do.

Pick a linux distro of your choice and try and get EQ running under WINE... ok.. for most people I realize this might be a bit difficult but it was worth mentioning.

If all else fails *sigh* you can always throw money at M$

Other than that.. you can rip the HDD out of your current setup and plug it into another machine (everyone has at least 10 spare computers laying around the living room right?!?) to pull the important data off of it at which point you can say @#$@#%@#$# computers and EQ, and go outside and ride your bike!

Depending on where you got your computer from, calling up the manufacturer and explaining the problem can get you a Windows Recovery Disk for maybe $20?
    Fanra - 125 Hobbit Druid Semper Brevis! W.E.T.S.U.
    "Donkey, you have the right to remain silent. What you lack is the capacity." - Shrek

Just an update. Been a busy couple weeks. Had the county fair and a lot of OT at work. Between that and trying to get on this laptop (my son's) I haven't been able to address the problem yet. Called a few friends that might have a recovery disk and had no luck. Might take tweelis up on that offer after I get around to calling dell and see what they say. Grats everyone on the latest win. I haven't been able to catch up on all the news... hope everyone is settling in!

Recruitment Officer
    Get your fanny back here.

I generally deal with server os's more than desktop/user os's however you may find (and i could be totally wrong about this) that using a 'repair disk' created on someone else's machine may not work on yours.

Had something similar happen to my comp at the beginning of the year or end of last? Anyways, had a friend at work take it and plugged it up to his like an external hard drive and ran AVG over the files and then he used some canadian program the only one he could find to rebuild the part of the boot up portion that the virus had taken. He was able to get it to boot up and I backed up my pics/videos and then searched other choices which hp offered a disk for 20 bux had this not worked. Instead after i got it up i did AVG it found a couple more things. I also use malwarebytes along with it that Zillabik suggested one time which also found stuff none else did. Currently still in the same state with some files missing, but virus free. Fighting the upgrade to windows7 due to xp.

Finally got my disk after they sent one that got stepped on. Dealing with dell's people is like a couple hour ordeal and I don't have a lot of time during business hours so it took me a while to get it done. Now have some sort of pop up... "Microsoft Feeds Synchronization" thing. And any website that mentions microsoft in it will not load. Gotta get that figured out. You guys look like you are doing great! Grats on all the wins!