Thread: 00.00 PDT

00.00 PDT

What the heck is 00:00 PDT? I know what 23:00 is but I had to look it up. Why the military all of a sudden?

Midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Loagina View Post
    What the heck is 00:00 PDT? I know what 23:00 is but I had to look it up. Why the military all of a sudden?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight
    Midnight marks the beginning and ending of each day in civil time throughout the world. As the dividing point between one day and another, midnight defies easy classification as either part of the preceding day or of the following day. Though there is no global unanimity on the issue, most often midnight is considered the start of a new day and is associated with the hour 00:00. Even in locales with this technical resolution, however, vernacular references to midnight as the end of any given day may be common.

The US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) recommends avoiding confusion altogether by using "00.01 am" and the date instead of "midnight".

Use of a 24-hour clock can remove ambiguity. The "midnight" term can be avoided altogether if the end of day is noted as 24:00 and the beginning of day as 00:00. While both notations refer to the same moment in time, the choice of notation allows its association with the previous night or with the following morning.
    Too many people confuse midnight with the wrong day. 00:00 is unambiguous.

"Midnight Tuesday" is sometimes seen as the beginning of Tuesday or the end of Tuesday. Using 00:00 makes it absolutely clear if you say 00:00 PDT Tuesday, you mean the beginning of Tuesday.
    Fanra - 125 Hobbit Druid Semper Brevis! W.E.T.S.U.
    "Donkey, you have the right to remain silent. What you lack is the capacity." - Shrek

Quote Originally Posted by Fanra View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight

Too many people confuse midnight with the wrong day. 00:00 is unambiguous.

"Midnight Tuesday" is sometimes seen as the beginning of Tuesday or the end of Tuesday. Using 00:00 makes it absolutely clear if you say 00:00 PDT Tuesday, you mean the beginning of Tuesday.

Denlar said it translates to midnight. So either way it's still midnight. If we're talking about Tuesday 12 pm noon, we know it's afternoon. If it's Tuesday 12 am midnight, we know it's Tuesday morning. It's not confusing to me, I've heard it all my life. I've never learned military time, so that's about as clear as mud.

Tuesday midnight.

So which is it to you, the beginning of Tuesday or the end of Tuesday?

It could be either.
    "Donkey, you have the right to remain silent. What you lack is the capacity." - Shrek

That's why a simple 12 am is completely clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Loagina View Post
    That's why a simple 12 am is completely clear.
    Except when I get tells, "Is 12am noon or midnight?".

Yes, 12am is mostly clear, although technically not correct, as
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hou...n_and_midnight
    It is not always clear what times "12:00 a.m." and "12:00 p.m." denote. From the Latin words meridies (midday), ante (before) and post (after), the term ante meridiem (a.m.) means before midday and post meridiem (p.m.) means after midday. Since "noon" (midday, meridies (m.)) is neither before nor after itself, the terms a.m. and p.m. do not apply. Although "12 m." was suggested as a way to indicate noon, this is seldom done and also does not resolve the question of how to indicate midnight.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language states "By convention, 12 AM denotes midnight and 12 PM denotes noon. Because of the potential for confusion, it is advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight."

E. G. Richards in his book Mapping Time provided a diagram in which 12 a.m. means noon and 12 p.m. means midnight.

The style manual of the United States Government Printing Office used 12 a.m. for noon and 12 p.m. for midnight until its 2008 edition, when it reversed these designations and then retained that change in its 2016 revision.

Many U.S. style guides, and NIST's "Frequently asked questions (FAQ)" web page,[2] recommend that it is clearest if one refers to "noon" or "12:00 noon" and "midnight" or "12:00 midnight" (rather than to "12:00 p.m." and "12:00 a.m."). The NIST website states that "12 a.m. and 12 p.m. are ambiguous and should not be used."

The Associated Press Stylebook specifies that midnight "is part of the day that is ending, not the one that is beginning."

The Canadian Press Stylebook says, "write noon or midnight, not 12 noon or 12 midnight." Phrases such as "12 a.m." and "12 p.m." are not mentioned at all. Britain's National Physical Laboratory "FAQ-Time" web page states "In cases where the context cannot be relied upon to place a particular event, the pair of days straddling midnight can be quoted"; also "the terms 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. should be avoided."

Likewise, some U.S. style guides recommend either clarifying "midnight" with other context clues, such as specifying the two dates between which it falls, or not referring to the term at all. For an example of the latter method, "midnight" is replaced with "11:59 p.m." for the end of a day or "12:01 a.m." for the start of a day. That has become common in the United States in legal contracts and for airplane, bus, or train schedules, though some schedules use other conventions. Occasionally, when trains run at regular intervals, the pattern may be broken at midnight by displacing the midnight departure one or more minutes, such as to 11:59 p.m. or 12:01 a.m..

Yes, 12:01 a.m. would also be preferable.